How To Use Kaboodle Kits In Your Classroom
Kaboodle Kits allow children to explore using their senses, create, pretend, imagine, feel delight, invent, engineer, discover, construct, test, and use out of the box thinking.
Idea #1: USING KABOODLE KITS AS PART OF YOUR MORNING ROUTINE:
- Play calming music as your students enter the classroom & let them sit at their desks and play with their Kaboodle Kits.
- Teacher can go around to each students desk and greet them with a kind and calm tone of voice.
- In a whispering tone of voice the teacher can ask the child if they would like to share with the teacher what they are creating in their Kaboodle Box.
- The child should not be pressured to share what they are making in their box and can say “pass” if they want to keep working quietly without sharing and the teacher can move on to the next student.
- This is a lovely way to build relationships with your students each morning in the classroom and start the day out by connecting with your students.
- Children tend to reenact things that are going on in their life through play and the teacher can get to know their students through this activity.
Idea #2: USING KABOODLE KITS AS BRAIN BREAKS THROUGHOUT THE DAY:
- Use throughout the day to switch gears from left brained learning activities and move into more right brained thinking.
- Allowing children time for creative play throughout the day can help integrate both sides of the brain and help children focus throughout the day.
Idea #3: USING KABOODLE KITS IN THE CALM DOWN CORNER OR AS PART OF A BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT PLAN:
- A calm down corner is a spot in the classroom that a child can go when they need some time to work on regulating themselves.
- The child could be allowed to put on headphones and play calming music while playing with their Kaboodle Kit for a few minutes as a time of relief from strenuous left brain thinking work.
- Children who have experienced trauma may be triggered during the day in your classroom and everyday tasks may be overwhelming for them.
- Allowing a child to sit quietly, listen to calming music, and play with the calming box can disarm fear and lower the stress chemicals in their brain allowing them to return to work and be able to focus better.
- Child could also be allowed to play at their desk with their Kaboodle Kit as a coping skill for frustration and anxiety.
Idea #4: A KINESTHETIC COMPONENT TO A SCIENCE UNIT:
- Children can read about the box contents in textbooks, watch videos about them, and then have a hands on way to explore different topics.
Idea #5: USE AS PART OF A LITERACY CENTER:
- Children can create things in their box and then write about it.
- This can be adapted for all ages. Young children can write a few words, older children can write a few sentences, and even older children can write paragraphs, stories, and essays.
Idea #6: AS A SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING ACTIVITY:
Here is an idea for the Butterfly Kaboodle Kit:
- Butterflies can symbolize many things: transformation, life and its cycle, the soul, growing, learning, changing, etc. Kaboodle Kits can be paired with poems about these topics and students can mediate while playing, write about these topics, share with their peers about these topics etc.